You are here
How We Work
At every step of the way, working with Polycot Associates is a collaboration with you. Via our project portal, we provide you with real-time visibility into our work. This includes frequent reports and communications to ensure that we are working in alignment with your priorities, your timeline and your budget.
Polycot Associates provides project-based work where clear communication is our foundation for success. Our process ensures, step by step, that we deliver a business website that meets your needs and exceeds your expectations. It is broken down into distinct phases of work.
Our mature project methodology includes the following steps:
- Initial one-hour FREE consultation.
- Discovery phase by our team to define the project based work and create a well-considered project plan.
- Client reviews the project plan, schedule, and risk factors.
- Clearly defined web project phases, with iterations of testing and review throughout.
- Finalization of the project for website soft launch and feedback.
- Adjustments based on website soft launch feedback.
- Finalization and launch of the web project.
- Definition and negotiation of any potential follow-up work or maintenance agreement.
- Periodic maintenance, if desired, to protect your site and keep it up to date.
Calibration for Collaboration
Our process of collaborative problem solving, planning and development separates critical business requirements from costly and low-value “nice-to-have” features at the beginning, and iteratively throughout your project. We can often include desired functionality with a more effective tool or process than what is initially requested or defined. This is where our years of collective expertise as web profressionals and continued fascination with learning about the web helps you the most. We often find that there are critical technology adjustments that can be made along the way. Our step-by-step approach allows for the greatest amount of flexibility for your busines website.
Relationship of Project Management to Overhead
A great Project Manager (PM) lubricates the project, providing clear communication among all the collaborators throughout the development process. PM's make sure all parties are well-informed and on course throughout the project, and average only 10 to 15 percent of the time the web developers spend in bringing your vision to life. Polycot Associates' greatest joy is in delivering web projects within or below our estimated budget.
Efficiency and Participation
With the project objectives set and a clear sequence of steps at the front of mind, we minimize the risk of unforeseen issues in the process of web development.
Our agile design-and-build philosophy parallels the way one of our web developers has built teahouses. He cups his hands in front of him, palms up, saying "This is how much I want to have left over when the tea house is built." As we work on your business website, we are careful not to waste time, effort, or materials - while still prioritizing beauty in the web design.
As a result, the features we create meet all the agreed-upon business, functional, aesthetic, financial, and scheduling objectives.
More on how we work in this blog post.
Getting Clear On Your Needs
- Strategic consulting
- Definition, discovery, and requirements analysis
Putting it Together
- Design and development services
- User centered design
- Custom web development
- Project management
Keeping it Going
- Social media strategy & deployment
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and analytics
- Content strategy
- Content management / Copywriting
- Maintenance and Security Updates
Core Platform / Base Layer
- Drupal (including custom theme and module development)
- Wordpress (including custom theme and plugin development)
- E-commerce / web store
- Mobile-friendly design (Responsive, Adaptive)
- Localization / Translation
Integrations with third-party services
- Embedded video (Youtube, Vimeo)
- Mailing List services (Mailchimp, Constant Contact)
- Mapping & Geolocation (Google Maps)
- Tacos (eating them)
- Integrations with other third-party services
Polycot will deploy your site onto the hosting platform of your choice and provide maintenance on sites located in any hosting environment. We work with many hosting companies that range from small business to enterprise-level in their offering. We are proud partners of two elite hosting companies, Pantheon and Acquia.